Its operational objectives include
- Acting as a hub to network the khadi related institutions
- Developing machineries suitable for decentralized khadi clusters
- Providing leadership in ‘product design and development’ to add value thus enhancing the market potential of khadi
- Creating quality norms, quality testing network and quality guidance systems for khadi sector
- Dissemination of technologies through modern methods of training including incubation and thus creating sustainable model of technology transfer
Well equipped quality assurance laboratory, with more than two dozen testing instruments, for determination of quality parameters from fibre to garment, is available in MGIRI. The other facilities include:
mini central sliver plant, solar charkha workshed, handloom workshed with dobby / jacquard, semi automatic looms, CATD facilities, design studio, hank dyeing m/c, calendaring m/c, stain removing unit, water softening plant, jigger dyeing m/c, 2-bowl padding mangle etc.
Current Technology Focus
- Improvisation of charkha and effecting corresponding changes in solar charkha.
- Design and fabrication of more versatile hank dyeing and mercerization machines.
- Technology development for the pre-spinning operations of desi wool and silk besides cotton.
- Design and development of woven khadi fabrics and costumes according to market trends; extension of knitting technology to khadi sector and introduction of fancy and blended yarns into khadi sector – & establishing replicable models of design studio; The extensive design studio at MGIRI has already come up with more than two hundred designs now beginning to be disseminated via web.
- Development of the technology of dyeing and finishing of cotton, wool and silk khadi with priority with natural dyes and eco-friendly chemicals.
Technologies completed with major impact
Follow up of the breakthrough ‘MGIRI-solar charkha’ with textile technological aspects suited to the solar yarn:
- Solar Fab Mart’ model of cheaper garments
- Solar yarn based hosiery products
- Solar yarn based rare textile products including medical textiles
Soft and stiff finish technology
Soft and stiff finish technology was transferred to Shree Kshretriya Gandhi Ashram, Barabanki, U.P. by establishing a viable commercial Common Facility Centre through the initiative of Dr R B Chavan of IIT Delhi, (former Consultant, MGIRI) in collaboration with the KVIC.
Quality norms and codes
Quality norms and codes brought into khadi sector through the efforts of Dr R B Chavan and hand books created in Hindi and English. The concept has been introduced in the Khadi institutions through the KVIC.