Genesis of MGIRI
MGIRI’s Origin in AIVIA founded by Bapu
Gandhiji started the All India Village Industries Association on 14-12-1934 in the upperoom of Mahila Ashram, Wardha. Dr Josef CornelliusKumarappa, known for his theory of Economy of Permanence was chosen by the Congress to lead this movement as per Bapu’s wishes. Shri KrishnadasJaju became its first President. AIVIA had a Board of 18 advisors consisting of distinguished scientists like Dr C V Raman and Dr J C Bose and also many leaders in public life and industry: Rabindranath Tagore, G D Birla, M A
Ansari, and Satish Chandra Das Gupta among others.
The AIVIA soon got reorganized in Maganwadi, a spacious orchard belonging to Seth JamanalalBajaji. Gandhiji stayed here with Kasturba during 1934-36 and supervised the works of AIVIA. Soon Maganwadi became a hub of rural industrial activity and a centre to coordinate industrial experiences and knowledge from all parts of the country with focus on research, production, training, extension, organization propaganda and publication
AIVIA succeeded in reviving and nurturing a number of rural industries through science and technology. Paddy husking, flour grinding, oil pressing, bee keeping, palm gur making, paper making, soap making, village pottery, paints and ink making, MaganDipa were some of the initial directions.
The new processes, techniques and machines were brought to the knowledge of the public through exhibitions. AIVIA also struggled to bring about a transformation in the villages in terms of sanitation, improved diet, indigenous healthcare and local resource based employment.
Gandhiji also inaugurated in 1936 the Wardha Haat meant to provide the feel of the market to the producer of village industries products. After Gandhiji passed away Dr Kumarappa became its President and Dr G
Ramachandran his Secretary from 1949 up to 1951.