The Bio-processes and Herbal Division of MGIRI is organised to work as a hub between rural MSMEs and other S&T institutions i.e. to identify and solve the problems of MSME units related to their product, process and quality.
The Division itself is organized:
(a) To develop technology for innovative, value added, high quality products for rural industries related to food products, herbal drugs, herbal cosmetics, neutraceuticals, feed supplements, bio-fertilizer, bio-pesticides, pro-biotics, etc. and to disseminate the technology to MSMEs to strengthen their product range and quality so that they become competitive in the domestic as well as global markets.
(b) To work on scientific validation, quality evaluation and standardization of the above items; in particular to help standardize traditional knowledge based products.
Facilities available in the division
- Testing of quality and certification as per NABL norms in respect of the areas (a) mentioned above.
- Sophisticated instruments viz. HPLC, HPTLC, AAS with microwave digestion system (for analysis of As, Hg, Ni, Cd and other metals), GC, UV Spectrophotometer and Flame photometer.
Technology available for commercialization
- Innovative Biomanure Diagnostic Kit: for instant estimation of N, P, K and organic carbon in biomanures.
- Innovative Microbial Diagnostic Kit: for instant estimation of microbial population in biomanures / biofertilizers.
- Technology for nitrogen fixers and phosphate solubiliser for sustainable agriculture: rhizobium, azotobactor, azospirillum, blue green algae, bacillus megaterium, aspergillus awamori, etc.
- Bio-pesticides for sustainable agriculture:
i) Trichoderma virdi, ii) pseudomonas, etc.
- Technology of protein Hydrolysate / amino acid for Agri- based industry. Innovative calcium lactate technology from sugar dust / sugar, for food, feed and pharmaceutical industry.
- New and innovative products like syrups, flavored and health care tea, herbal gulal, herbal hair oil, natural cosmetics, etc.
Consultancy services are available
for areas (a) mentioned above and also for food products like dextrose syrup, maltodextrin and spirulina; pharmaceutical Industry viz. sarbitol, calcium gluconate and calcium lactate; feed industry: protein hydrolysate and probiotics; agro-industry: agro-micronutrients like zinc gluconate, manganese and iron.
Pilot plant facilities for incubation scheme / training
Fermenter, spray drier, solvent extraction plant, water extraction unit, essential oil extraction plant, Dhoop-batti and mosquito coil making machine.
Infrastructure for biscuits & cookies sandwiching, packaging, planetary mixer & juice extraction for pilot scale production.